06 May 2009

Dance Every Day

I was on the way home from some adventure with Pardner Jones (not a real name).

Conversation went into a lull, so I popped a Warren Zevon cassette into the tape player of my old Toyota P.up. You know old WZ, "Send lawyers, guns and money..." [click link for the song]. Pardner kind of wakes up, says "What the hell is this?" with an obvious air of disdain. OK, I thought, it is a little rough (it was WZ's hard rock version, not the acoustic). So I pop in a little Neil Young, "After the Gold Rush" [click link for song]. He asks, "Why do you need that noise?" Excuse me? "That noise." Don't you listen to music? "Nope." I think there's couple of Mozart piano sonata tapes in the glove box. "No thanks."

Pardner is one of the few people I've ever met who doesn't listen to music. Or even like it, apparently. This wouldn't be so bad, I guess, but as I got to know him better I realized he also gets nothing out of painting, sculpture, literature, or other forms of art. Hmmmm....

We quit hunting together a short while after that. Not over the art thing, though. Just don't get me started about "kiss & tell" hunters and anglers--the kind of people you take to a special place, and the next week they are back with three new "friends."

Recently, Pardner weighed in on a certain friend. Seems he was suspicious over her dancing. He wrote, "She dances every day, she told me. Every day!" Hmmmm....

I'm happy to say the woman is still dancing and happy for it.

So here's to those who dance, sing, paint, read literature or write every day. Every day! As I heard in a song once, "Long may you run."

-------------------------

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Names, character, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or a used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead is entirely coincidental.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dancing every day would be a good thing in my book.

(A Warren Zevon aside: whne I was in college in Athens, GA, sometimes we'd go see the Hindu Love Gods play - it was Zevon with a Michael Stipe-less REM.)

B SQUARED said...

As the saying goes, "with friends like that..." Sounds (pardon the pun) like he is a very unhappy person.

spy said...

Amen! No music or art or written word or dance? How do you keep your heart beating without?

Jim said...

Interesting panoramas.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

EcoRover said...

CitizenOTW, "Hindu Love Gods"--I love that. Never knew about the REM correction, very cool.

B2, well I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and take them as they are. There are friends and then, well, there are Pardners...

You got it, Spy. And, without music and dance, how do we keep our hearts beating in time with those we love?

Thanks JBar.

Anonymous said...

I'm completely baffled. How can you NOT like dancing & Neil Young? Must be a droid...or head injury?

Signed,
Proud Neil Young lover & avid dancer in Missoula ;)

Deedee said...

Not like music???!! I love the late great Warren, and how can ya not love Neil? Pardner should grow a soul. Long may you run too, Ecorover!(wasn't that Neil Young with Steve Stills, Dave Crosby and Graham Nash?)

Three D said...

deedee, that was the stills young band.a collectable since the ensuing tour never took place because neal had throat surgery to remove nodules from his vocal cords soon after the LP was released."with your chrome heart shining in the sun" luv that line.

EcoRover said...

DeeDee & 3D, thanks for the good bit of history on Weird Neil. Love that guy. I'm off to YouTube to see what I can find on those leads you provided.