12 July 2011

One Last Hike (before Hawaii)

Mrs Rover & I leave for Hawaii tomorrow on a visit with daughter Emily who is doing her graduate research/field work there. Before leaving, MollyTheDog & I got out for one last hike in the Montana hills. I was glad to find this field of gold:

Heartleaf Arnica (Arnica cordifolia), an excellent healing plant (external use only!) with sesquiterpene lactones--bio-active chemicals that are anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory:

I crushed a plant's flower, leaves, and stem and rubbed it on a "barked" shin that would not heal. The plant juices formed a protective film over the wound and by that evening the inflammation (bone bruise) had subsided and the skin began to heal. I don't have a before photo of my wound in its "weepy" state (lucky you), but here's my shin some hours after the arnica treatment:

In the shade of the lodgepole pines, I thought I made another great find with a huge patch of morel mushrooms, but a closer ground-level view proved them to be toxic false morels (Gyromitra esculenta). Dang:

Back out in the meadow, this lovely field of pink:

Turned out to be Parrys Lousewort (Pedicularis parryi var purpurea), a flower that is usually white or yellow but has a local "purple" variation:

Sulfur Buckwheat (Eriogonum umbellatum) is also blooming under the hot July sun:

Well, just a short hike in the hills north of the house and then it was time to get back home as I wanted to get the new toilet set in the downstairs bath (yes, that new kitchen/bath renovation is nearly complete) before bringing MollyTheDog to puppy camp. Hope to be checking in from Hawaii soon, Aloha!

3 comments:

Janie said...

Great info about the healing powers of arnica.
Looks like a good hike as you say a temporary goodbye to the Montana hills.
Hope you're having fun in Hawaii!

troutbirder said...

Have a great visit Eco. I enjoyed reading about improved stewardship along the Ruby. I believe some years ago my sons Montana State mentor was involved in access issues there. I fished the valley only once after a jaunt over the mountain range to the east whose name escapes me. :)

secret agent woman said...

Interesting about the healing plant. My son is often telling me things like that about plants he finds.